Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Not More than Semantics?


Blogger Brian has more to say:

"Given that I am simply a twenty-year-old college student, the fact that you responded means something. It tells me that my comment was important enough that it merits response.

"Anyway...

"By defining tolerance as a force which demands that you give up your Christian values, you are committing a very notable fallacy. That is, "your misrepresentation of tolerance is wrong, therefore tolerance is wrong." Tolerance is not something which demands that you give up on your sacred beliefs. By defining it that, way you are setting up a very poorly-built straw-man.

"Although I am not sure that I or my message about homosexuality is "sent from Hell" or "inspired by Satan" as you suggested, I do believe that your primitive message is wrong. You accused me of picking and choosing, but it's actually you who is doing that, reason being, you cited Leviticus, then accused me of picking and choosing. Indeed, it was you who picked the homosexuality ban out of Leviticus and then ignored the other asinine laws that the same ancient text subscribes. For example, no eating shellfish, planting a garden with two types of plants, and touching the skin of a dead pig. Why is it that you pick homosexuality out and ignore the other laws?

"You also talked about "True Christianity" which I believe is interesting. To you, true Christianity is picking the most asinine laws out of the Old Testament and following them, while ignoring the words of Jesus. To me, true Christianity is following the teachings of Jesus, instead of ignoring them."

gregjaye replies:


Brian, on this blog we can share our true beliefs and opinions.

My basic argument was that the very meaning of tolerance as used by the extreme left and their comrades [I call them the Tolerance Totalitarians close relatives of the Political Correctness Crowd] has supplanted the original meaning that the word has almost become meaningless. To be tolerant, as defined by the extreme left, and what has crept into society in general is making me subordinate my beliefs for the sake of peace and understanding. I don’t buy that. I will be civil. I will try to understand. I will love those who hate and despise me. I disagree with you that the TT and the PC crowd do demand that I not believe strongly in Jesus as to dare bring His name in Public in a prayer or otherwise.

What God said about homosexuality in Leviticus is echoed in the writings of Paul in the New Testament. The “other asinine laws” where not mentioned in the New Testament as much of the law was made complete in Christ, and therefore may not be as applicable for today. However, much of those “other asinine laws” do often have true principles scientifically accurate if followed, for example some of the farming related “laws”. God says “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness.” By all this I take it God means all. There is great unfathomable riches and unlimited truth in the Judeo-Christian Bible.

One of the basic tenants of God’s Word, the Bible, is to hate evil. It presupposes the existence of evil. Do you believe, Brian, that evil exists? We are to love the sinner [for we all fit the bill] but we are to hate the sin [ours, as well as all sin]. God pronounces homosexuality in many places in the Scriptures as abominable, as sin. Therefore, the conclusion must be that homosexuality is unacceptable behavior. Jesus Christ loved sinners in 31 A.D. as He still loves sinners in 2006 A.D. So must I. So do I.

Jesus made friends with and loved the unlovable, those who were hated by society, He loved the prostitutes, the tax gathers, the lepers. Today he would love the AIDS victims and the handicapped and the homosexual. He would not accept the sin, but He would love the sinner. He would offer repentance and He offers forgiveness, He offers redemption and He offers the power to change one's behavior no matter how bad. That is the example we need to follow.

There is a side of Jesus that many conveniently forget. It is His righteously angry side. He was incredulous when it came to seeing the religious and business people making a mockery of the House of God, the Temple. There was buying and selling and maybe even purchasing some dispensations, etc. Well, He was enraged and physically broke up the place and drove the unbelievers out.

He would do likewise if He came into a so-called Christian Church where a practicing homosexual was selling himself or herself to the pew sitters as a legitimate spiritual minister. Jesus would again be enraged and incredulous at that.

I may have stated it earlier, but it doesn’t hurt repeating it again and again until someone listens and gets it. Homosexuality is a lie. Homosexuals believe a lie. The lie is that homosexuality is a natural, normal, acceptable alternative lifestyle equal to any other relationship such as marriage. Wrong. Homosexuality is a behavioral choice made by rebellious men and women that flies in the face of reason and sound judgment and, more importantly, it disobeys God’s law.

Again, I admit that I am an intolerant, discriminating Christian American. I hate evil. I discriminate what things are good from what are evil. I follow in the footsteps of an intolerant, yet loving, discriminating yet accepting, Jesus Christ, my Lord and my Savior.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brian,

    See my posting on the blog in response to your comment.

    ReplyDelete