Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Slamming St. Paul



Blogger Brian Rebuts:

“Obviously, you are not going to argue any new points other than St. Paul.”Keep in mind, St. Paul also says that "slaves should obey their masters" and that "it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in church." St. Paul's words are invalid today as well. Unless you are in favor of bringing back slavery and disallowing females from speaking in church, you are once again, guilty of picking and choosing.”


gregjaye responds:

Paul the Apostle wrote a major portion of the New Testament. His words were God-breathed as is the entire Judeo-Christian Bible.

Personally, I believe that Paul’s expression “slaves obey your master” is as true today as it was almost 2000 years ago. We no longer have slaves, but if we did the biblical mandate would apply today. As employees we are in a sense “slave” or servants to our employers. They pay the bill, they tell us what to do we do it. If we don’t we get canned instead of killed. The principles behind Paul’s exhortation are applicable today in the marketplace and in any employee-employer relationship. In most cases we have more latitude than does a slave and way more protections if we are treated unjustly.

I will anger a lot of feminists with what I am about to say, but it is my personal belief that in most cases women should not be teaching men in a church situation. Teaching other women and children is absolutely appropriate, but not men. I told you in an earlier posting that I am an intolerant, discriminating in a “good” sense faith-based Christian American.

I am not in favor of bringing back slavery, but I am in favor of applying Paul’s admonition to respectfully submit to our employers, to give them more than they bargained for, by which I mean give them more than what is expected. Dazzle them with your contribution; you will be a more valuable slave.

As for women I see no inconsistency with disallowing woman a role of teaching or of leading men in a church setting. There are many evangelical biblically based congregations that hold to Paul’s teaching today. I am one of them. I would not be an active member of a church which placed women in the role of leadership, based on this very teaching of Paul and others.

I am not so sure when it comes to women missionaries in societies and in areas where there are no available male teachers. I struggle with that one, leaning on allowing women to assume the role where there is no alternative.

In summarizing the major points of these three recent discussions follows:

One, tolerance is a word, whose meaning has been irretrievable corrupted by the immoral minority and related forces of evil working in America and the world today. It is no longer in my vocabulary or in my dictionary.

Two, there exists a dichotomy of good and evil. There are moral absolutes. Homosexuality is a choice people make. God calls it immoral behavior. It is in essence, sin. God hates sin. Therefore I must, in turn, hate sin. Jesus loves the sinner, as I must. We must love them to salvation.

Third, the Bible is rock solidly dependable as a guide for individual, corporate and government life and operation. The truth contained in the Judeo-Christian Bible is matchless and all of its principles and many of its precepts are timeless and truthful.

Finally, I consider myself to be an intolerant, discriminating, but loving, faith-based Christian American, who tries to live by the revealed will of God as outlined in His Word, the Bible. I believe that there is good and evil. I love what is good, I passionately hate all evil. I love all people, sinner and saint.


Make A Good Choice, Brian, and carefully examine the entire scripture studying the truth about good and evil and the reality and the person of Jesus Christ and the truth of Paul's writings expecially about the true nature of man.

2 comments:

  1. What you say is true about slaves, Brian, however, I can clearly see some application as a Christian to go the extra mile for our employers and "act" like a slave in terms of doing more than is espected, to delight our employers. This is a good testamony to them and a reflection of Christ in the workplace. It also bodes well for us as a valued employee.

    You imply that my beliefs about the role of woman were a recent development. Untrue, I have held that belief for years.

    God bless you, Brian, is how I feel about calling me a facist.

    Also, Matt has more to say about this subject in his posting of Thursday, June 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though slavery was permitted in the scriptures, slaves had certain rights. These rights are not generally afforded to them in most cultures that permit slavery (including the southern confederacy and the USA before the civil war). Such rights include the right to marry, the right to worship as you choose, the right to protected under the against people who would physically harm you, etc. In other words, they were not just property only--they were treated as human beings.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete