Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tom Hoefling: Close But No Cigar

Tom Hoefling is running for President as the nominee for America's Party.  Hoefling believes everything you would expect of a typical social conservative.  He is unabashedly pro-life, supports "one man, one woman" marriage, the right to bear arms, national sovereignty and our republican form of government.  And among other things, I agree with him that 16th and 17th amendments should be repealed.  Another thing a like about Hoefling and America's party is that they take no campaign contributions.  I think that this is a great idea!

The America's Party platform, with which Tom Hoefling agrees, has some obvious and some not so obvious flaws, but overall it is a pretty good document.  The Due Process clauses of the 5th and 14th Amendments were intended to prevent the death penalty from being imposed by government without a fair trial.  They are not laws against murder, though I do agree the right to life of all is protected by the Declaration of Independence.

These imperfections are not the reason why I will not vote Tom Hoefling.  A friend of mine interviewed Hoefling and asked about the war in Iraq.  Hoefling said that he still thinks that the war was not a bad idea.  This is a deal breaker for me.  Over a million deaths, a trillion added to the national debt in a war which accomplished nothing.  And you still think that it was worth it?  I might vote for someone like that (literally holding my nose while I color in the square next to his name) if he was running for a state or local office.  But this guy just isn't Presidential material.  I will keep looking a for a better candidate.

1 comment:

Carol Goodwin said...




Ron Paul was our last good hope for resurrecting our country. But he is not on the list of certified write ins and most of the ones who are, give little or no infor mation about themselves. I pledged my support for Dr Paul and swore I would not vote for Mitt or Hussein. My vote, I know is a throw away vote but my conscience is clear.