Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tom Hoefling: Close But No Cigar

Tom Hoefling is running for President as the nominee for America's Party.  Hoefling believes everything you would expect of a typical social conservative.  He is unabashedly pro-life, supports "one man, one woman" marriage, the right to bear arms, national sovereignty and our republican form of government.  And among other things, I agree with him that 16th and 17th amendments should be repealed.  Another thing a like about Hoefling and America's party is that they take no campaign contributions.  I think that this is a great idea!

The America's Party platform, with which Tom Hoefling agrees, has some obvious and some not so obvious flaws, but overall it is a pretty good document.  The Due Process clauses of the 5th and 14th Amendments were intended to prevent the death penalty from being imposed by government without a fair trial.  They are not laws against murder, though I do agree the right to life of all is protected by the Declaration of Independence.

These imperfections are not the reason why I will not vote Tom Hoefling.  A friend of mine interviewed Hoefling and asked about the war in Iraq.  Hoefling said that he still thinks that the war was not a bad idea.  This is a deal breaker for me.  Over a million deaths, a trillion added to the national debt in a war which accomplished nothing.  And you still think that it was worth it?  I might vote for someone like that (literally holding my nose while I color in the square next to his name) if he was running for a state or local office.  But this guy just isn't Presidential material.  I will keep looking a for a better candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment