Monday, May 01, 2006

2 - Election Reflection #1, My 2006 Campaign for U.S. Senate

I don’t know about you, but I am tired of supporting people for political office because they say they agree with a particular stand I take, and then have them vote the opposite of the stand for which I voted for them. Once in office they seem to reverse directions from what they said. For example, LBJ saying, “I will not go to war in Vietnam”, or the first President Bush saying that there would be no new taxes, Or President George W. claiming to be a compassionate conservative and yet allowing embryonic stem cell research on 64 embryos instead of finding mothers for them.

Initially, in thinking about running for the U.S. Senate, I read the following passage found in the bible, 1 Samuel 14:6:


“And Jonathan said to the young
man that bare his armor, Come,
and let us go over unto the garrison
of these uncircumcised: it may be
that the LORD will work for us: for
there is no restraint to the LORD
to save by many or by few.”

In this passage Jonathan says to his armor bearer that God was able to win with many or with few . . . So I thought that perhaps God would support my running for office, too. Then I read another passage (1 Corinthians 1:27) in the bible, which says:

“But God hath chosen the foolish
things of the world to confound
the wise; and God hath chosen the
weak things of the world to confound
the things which are mighty;”

Here in this passage God is saying that He takes delight in doing the impossible.

My conclusion was that if I didn’t run for office, then I would never know what God might do on my behalf. So I made the decision to run for U.S. Senate. In the process I discovered that I was a Democrat. (I had voted as a Democrat in the last election.)


When I read in the Democratic Party platform that it was pro-family and not necessarily pro-death, I decided that I could in good conscience run as a Democrat.

There are now less than 2 days until Ohio Voters can make A Good Choice on Tuesday, May 2nd in the Democratic Primary Election.

No comments:

Post a Comment