Thursday, May 04, 2006

Election Reactions

". . . That there is widespread discontent with the establishments of both parties. Two candidates with little money took about ... 28.2% of the vote from Senate incumbent Mike Dewine. One candidate probably would have taken about 10% more, but voters who had never heard of Bill Pierce or David Smith most likely decided to stay with the devil they knew once they saw two alternatives instead of one. On the Democrat side, Merrill Keiser took an astounding ... 22% from Sherrod Brown. I’m not even going to attempt to describe his politics because I’m not sure I can stay civil while doing so. I’m guessing he got about 50% of his vote from people still angry about Paul Hackett being forced out of the race and the other 50% from traditional blue-collar Democrats unhappy with Brown’s far-left views. . ."

from BizzyBlog 5/3/06

". . . Mr. Keiser, I applaud your campaign based upon your personal, unwavering values. While I must say that I voted for Mr. Brown, this was not personal attack. Rather, my political beliefs found themselves more aligned with those of Mr. Brown. . . ."

from comment on A Good Choice . . . for Ohio blog 5/2/06

. . . Brown's opponent, Merrill S. Keiser, was an unlikely Democrat, opposing abortion rights and supporting school prayer. An opponent who was considered more viable, Iraq war veteran Paul Hackett, dropped out in February. Yet Keiser got more than 120,000 votes. . . [actually nearly 160,000 votes, but who is counting?]

from the Cleveland Plain Dealer article "As expected: Brown vs. DeWine"
5/3/06

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:32 PM

    After the primary election, I read the results and learned that Merrill Keiser received the third highest number of votes for US Senator.

    He did far better than anyone expected. I suspect that many people voted for him because they found one or more of his views attractive.

    I do not know the rules of Ohio elections, but with the high voter response to Mr. Keiser, one wonders if he should think about running for the US Senate as an independent this November.

    ReplyDelete