Monday, March 05, 2007

McCain, an Un-Conservative Choice for President

One soft drink company, 7-Up, used to advertise its main non-cola drink as the “un-cola”. Likewise, I look at Senator John McCain as an Un-Conservative. Senator McCain strikes me as someone who puts political ambition over principles. Therefore, he is not the “real thing” for me. He seems to want to peddle himself to some degree to be a conservative. He is not.

To me people like Ted Kennedy, Charles Schumer, Nancy Pelosi and Barney Franks, because of their political positions and beliefs, are in essence internal terrorists. In other words, they are the domestic enemies of America. Al Qaeda remains our chief foreign enemy terrorist organization. Would I classify Senator John McCain to be an enemy of America?

That is a tough question. He is on the fence [not the one at the border because he seems to favor open borders and amnesty, which in that sense make him a terrorist sympathizer]. On the most important issue of the day, abortion, he is not 100% pro-life and that bothers me. He is apparently pro embryonic stem cell research as well.

If pressed, I would have to say that after what George “Why I’m a conservative” Bush, I do not trust John McCain. He might enter office calling claiming that to be pro-life, but end up being Bill Clinton if it gave him an advantage once in office. Overall I would have to say that McCain is more like Hillary Clinton and less like Ronald Reagan.

He is not as outright an enemy of America as are the others I mentioned above; however, he is at least an enemy sympathizer. He is not a true conservative. Like many liberals he is out to benefit himself in any way he could, the nation is secondary to his own ambitions. That is my opinion.

Tom Bevan last Friday
wrote that McCain had a rough week last week. Bevan cites sevral examples. Llast Thursday McCain issued an apology for saying US soldiers' lives had been 'wasted' in Iraq. Then, on a talk show Thursday, former conservative Senator from Pennsylvania, Rick Santorum was quoted as saying, "Anyone but McCain" among other disparaging remarks. I do not agree with Santorum’s “Anyone but McCain” because that would include Giuliani and Romney, both of whom are not strong conservatives either.

I believe that McCain would make an excellent Democratic Party candidate. He is much more liberal leaning than he is conservative. The Democrat Party leadership does not care very much for conservative principles either, McCain might feel more at home with some of his Democrat chums.

No comments:

Post a Comment