Friday, April 18, 2008

Dick Cheney’s Comedy Act

Vice President Dick Cheney spoke at the annual Radio and Television Correspondents dinner Wednesday evening. NewsBusted posted a YouTube video, which is embedded below. It highlights some of his best lines. I like his self-deprecating and sarcastic sense of humor.



Here a few of the highlights that impressed me most:

*** You all know how to make a guy feel welcomed. Obviously, you're not the kind to look down on a bitter man who clings to his guns. . .

*** It is exciting when the Pope comes to town and I am modest enough to realize that all of you would rather see the Pope than me. Instead of the successor to St. Peter, you're stuck with me, the successor to St. Al. Speaking of Vice President Gore, I am sorry to relate that he is a little bit sore at me. He is convinced that on global warming I just don’t get it. But lately with every passing day the evidence has been catching my attention. I have no doubt, none at all that we are in the midst of global warming, or as I prefer to call it – SPRING! And, I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but it's going to get a lot warmer before it gets cooler.

*** … It could also be that by sending me here the President is trying to soften up my image. After all these years, all the time we have spent together, he persists in thinking I come across as a cold, forbiddeing, even frightening man. But the President is not alone even my wife seems to think my image needs polishing. At breakfast today, I asked Lynn if deep down it bugs her that people have taken to calling me Darth Vader. She said not at all. It humanizes you. . .

.
*** But since it is our last time together at this dinner, I think it is enough to leave you with the words I once addressed to Senator Pat Leahy . . . go straight home, have a good night and thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment