Thursday, January 17, 2013

RAD is bad part 5


This is series of articles designed to help professing Christians to turn from their wicked ways and get back to following New Testament ethics.  Compromise is increasing in the church.  Popular opinion among churchgoers is often in stark contrast to the very words of Jesus on many issues.  Christians need to know the word of God and get back to using it as a reference book when they are faced with important decisions.

RAD is my acronym for remarriage after divorce This is the fifth article in a sub-series on this topic.  In review I wrote:

1. RAD is sin.  It is the moral equivalent of adultery.
2. There is only one exception given in the Bible.  A divorced man can remarry without sinning only if the reason for the divorce was his wife’s fornication (i.e. it must be a sin of a sexual nature--the NIV incorrectly translates that word as “marital unfaithfulness”). 

These are the scriptures which form the basis for this teaching:

Matthew 5:32, Matthew 19:9, Mark 10:12, Luke 16:18, Romans 7:2-3 and I Corinthians 7:10-11, 39.

This week I will conclude this sub-series by relating my own personal experience with this topic.  I have never been married myself, but once I courted a woman who was twice divorced.  I knew what the Bible said about RADs.  I knew it was wrong.  But I tried to do it anyway because I was an idiot.  I told this woman to read the above Scriptures thinking that there would be Scriptural loophole that she would use to say that it would be OK.  But instead she (rightly) criticized me trying to rationalize something unbiblical.  But sometime later this woman started dating another man and said that it wouldn’t be wrong for her to marry again.  When I heard this, I was really, really hurt.  I have learned my lesson.  I will never court a divorced woman again and I make absolutely no exceptions.  Furthermore, I will not marry a woman unless she is either a virgin or widow who has not had consensual relations with anyone except her husband.  I hope that someone reading this will take heed and the commission of a sin will be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment