Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dave (1993)



This is an older movie that just happened to catch my eye as I was browsing in my local video store. I rented the movie this past weekend. It was a very good. It is, as one reviewer, who highly recommended it, wrote, “A great combination of romance, feel good politics and a few laugh-out-loud moments.”

The corrupt President depicted in the movie, a precursor of President Bill Clinton perhaps. The President has his lackeys find a double to be seen in public, while he engages in some adulterous misbehavior. His look-a-like Dave Kovic is recruited. Dave is the manager of a temporary help agency. Unbeknownst to Dave the President while committing adultery (not unlike the real debauched Bill Clinton) has a stroke and becomes completely incapacitated. Dave, the imposter, is asked to pretend to be the president by the President’s own “Karl Rove” who manipulates Dave, or at least tries to do so.

Near the end of the movie Kevin Kline’s character, the Presidential imposter, makes a speech before the joint session of Congress where he seeks to confess and admit that (the real) president committed crimes. Here is part of that speech:

“…I’d like to apologize to the American people. You see, I forgot that I was hired to do a job for you, and it was just a temp job at that. I forgot that I had 250 million (now 300+ almost half of the increase is due to illegal aliens) people, who were expecting me to make their lives a little bit better and I didn’t live up to my part of the bargain.

“You see I think that there are certain things you should expect from your President. I ought to care more about you than I do about me. I ought to care more about what is right than about what is popular. I ought to be willing to give up the whole thing for something I believe in . . .”

This is a good and appropriate message for our current and future presidents to practice.

RATING

***** out of *****. There were just a couple of adult-oriented scenes. It is not a family movie for that reason. But it is a movie that would be enjoyed by a politically active or politically interested individual. I recommend this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment