Friday, January 04, 2008

Results of Iowa Caucus


Editorial Cartoon from today's online Columbus Dispatch

.

The following are the 2008 Iowa Caucus results provided by CNNPolitics.com:

.
Democrat Results:
Obama------940---38%
Edwards -----744----30%
Clinton-------737----29%
Richardson ---53 ----2%
Biden ---------23-----1% Withdrew from race yesterday
Undecided-----3------0%
Dodd-----------1-----0% Withdrew from race yesterday
Gravel ---------0-----0% barred from tomorrow's ABC-TV debate
Kucinich--------0-----0% barred from tomorrow's ABC-TV debate

Republican Results:
Huckabee--39,814--34%
Romney-----29,405---25%
Thompson---15,521---13%
McCain------15,248---13%
Paul---------11,598---10%
Giuliani-------4,013----4%
Hunter--------515----1% barred from tomorrow's ABC-TV debate
.
I don't usually buy a Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch newspaper but I was ill today having gone to the Emergency Room for the cold I could not shake. I wasn't sure how long I had to wait and wanted something to read. However, it wasn't until later in the morning that I finally got a chance to look seriously at the Democrat Dispatch. I noticed that a vary obvious attempt on the part of the paper to minimize Senator Rodham-Clinton's terrible third place finish, see how the box on the front page listed the results of the Iowa caucus:

Iowa scorecard

Support was clear for the winning candidates late last night, but the exact order and level of backing for those behind them was unclear:

Democrats
1. Barack Obama, 37 percent
2. John Edwards, Hillary Clinton

Republicans
1. Mike Huckabee, 34 percent
2. Mitt Romney, 25 percent
3. Fred Thompson, John McCain

The online version of the liberal Dispatch listed a time of 3:00 AM as for the story. I knew from listening to the radio last night that Rodham-Clinton had finished third before midnight. It seems to me that this newspaper was not accurate in its reporting for a political purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:18 AM

    I watched Fox News last weekend and saw an interview with Chairman
    Frank MacKay from the Independence Party of America, all I can
    say is FINALLY. Even though I usually vote Republican, the party has
    failed us on so much. Voting for an Independent ticket of
    Bloomberg - Hagel would be really tempting.

    ReplyDelete